Dairy Free Coconut Protein Mousse
20 April 2015
Who doesnt love a good mousse dessert. Unfortunately these are usually laden with sugar and packed with unhealthy calories. I have recreated this recipe to provide healthy fats and nourishment instead. This recipe is low in carbs, high in protein and absolutely delicious! For those of you who are nuts about coconuts, this is definitely the recipe for you!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Serves: 4 -6 persons
4 x 400ml coconut cream cans – drain any water that has separated
5 tbsp. xylitol
4 egg whites
1 tsp, cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
1 tbsp. macadamia nut butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 scoop brown rice protein powder
1 cup dessicated coconut – toasted
1. Place egg whites and xylitol in a large bowl and beat with electric beaters for 5 minutes, or until mixture is pale, thick and doubled in volume.
2. Add brown rice protein powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and macadamia nut butter and continue to beat for another 2 minutes until thoroughly combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whip coconut cream until thickened (be careful not to over-beat).
4. Use a large metal spoon to carefully fold the coconut cream into the egg white mixture, trying to keep the mixture as light as possible. Spoon into serving glasses and chill in fridge for at least 1 hour.
5. Place desiccated coconut in a non-stick pan, sprinkle a little cinnamon and toast on low heat until lightly browned.
6. Remove from fridge 15 minutes before serving, then top with desiccated coconut, strawberries and blueberries.
Variations: Add more macadamia nut butter for a nuttier taste. Add 1 tbsp. cacao powder or carob powder for a rich chocolately flavour.
Yours in Health Always,