Triple layer Chocolate cake with Salted Caramel-Vanilla Frosting
29 November 2015
This absolutely decadent yet completely guilt-free triple layer chocolate cake is the perfect festive season dessert for just about any holiday gathering. I recently served this at a holiday get-together of my own and it was such a big hit! This deliciousness is high in protein, rich in anti-oxidants, low in carbohydrates and free from any processed ingredients. No need to deprive yourself this festive season - simply swap up ingredients and you have yourself a delicious healthy chocolate cake! Yum!
Total Prep Time: 1 hour
2 x 400g cans Black Beans
50g Cacao Powder
1 ½ cups (375g) coconut flour
6 large eggs
400 ml coconut milk
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. vanilla extract
80ml agave syrup / 5 tsp. xylitol
Salted Caramel-Vanilla Frosting
170g macadamia nut butter
125ml melted coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
80ml agave syrup
Almond pieces – lightly toasted
Fresh strawberries – sliced in half
Preheat the oven to 180⁰C.
Lightly grease three medium sized cake tins with coconut oil
1. Start by draining the black beans and adding to a saucepan along with the pitted dates. Fill with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 3-5 minutes until the dates are as soft as can be without falling apart.
2. Drain the beans and dates and add to a blender along with coconut milk, agave/xylitol, cacao powder, cinnamon and cloves. Blend until smooth and pour into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the whole eggs and vanilla extract to a bowl and beat thoroughly for 3-5 mins until light and fluffy. Slowly fold eggs into the bean and date mixture, stirring well. Add coconut flour and stir continuously until all ingredients are well combined.
4. Divide evenly into three medium sized cake tins and place in the oven to bake for 50 minutes, or until you can insert a knife into the cake and it comes out clean.
5. Whilst the cake bakes, prepare the frosting: Simply blend the coconut oil with the agave syrup, macadamia nut butter, vanilla extract, water and a generous pinch of salt until smooth. Leave aside to thicken while the cake bakes.
6. Once the cake is cooked, leave on a cooling rack until cooled. Once cooled, start by buttering the bottom cake layer with frosting. Place second layer and butter with frosting. Finally place third layer on top, and drizzle with remaining frosting. Place in the fridge immediately to allow frosting to harden.
7. When ready to serve, top with toasted almond pieces and fresh strawberries.
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy Festive Season, and prosperous New Year.
Yours in Health Always,