Christmas Roast Chicken with Herbed Mushrooms and Peppers
29 November 2015
Often Christmas time can come with many unhealthy temptations, leaving us feeling overfull and sluggish, thereby causing our health to suffer. With the right ingredient swaps, a heavy -and unhealthy feast can be transformed into a light, fresh and super good-for-you spread that satisfies in both taste and flavour. This healthy roast chicken dish is packed with protein, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals to keep your body feeling happy and healthy ..and tastes fantastic too!
Total Prep Time:2 hours
1 large free range chicken (approx. 1.5kg)
1 teaspoon Pink crystal salt, divided
1 ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper, divided
3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow pepper, chopped
3 cups sliced button mushrooms
2 cups chopped portobello mushroom caps
2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp. rye flour
- Remove giblets (if included) from chicken and trim any excess skin. Loosen the skin over the breast and thigh meat and rub thyme, 1 tsp. pepper and 3/4 tsp. salt under the skin. Tuck wing tips under and tie legs together with kitchen string. Place breast-side down in a large roasting pot. Roast the chicken for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place sliced leeks in a colander; rinse and drain well. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add peppers; cook for 1 minute. Add button, portobello and shiitake mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms release their liquid and it evaporates to a glaze, about 7 minutes. Stir in rosemary, sage and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat
- Warm chicken stock and add rye flour. Stir thoroughly and add mixture to mushroom and peppers
- Return mushrooms and peppers to heat, and allow sauce to thicken. Once thickened remove from heat and set aside
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Skim or blot any fat from the pan juices. Add the mushroom mixture to the roasting pot and spread in an even layer.
- Return to the oven and continue roasting for 30 minutes
- Transfer the chicken and mushroom sauce to an oval serving let rest for 10 minutes before removing the string and carving.
Wishing you a happy and healthy Festive Season!
Yours in Health Always,